Whether you like winter or prefer the warmer months in Marshalltown, many of us make adjustments to be sure our home’s temperature keeps us cozy. This can have a big impact on your energy bills, but there are steps you can take to bring monthly costs down.
- Look at the weather stripping – After many years, the seals around your windows and doors can crack or become weathered. Walk around your home to pinpoint any drafts that need to be addressed.
- Take advantage of your blinds – If your windows have blinds, they can be valuable in keeping your space warm. Keep them open when the sun is shining during the day, and make sure to close them at the end of the day, so the warmer air doesn’t escape.
- Change your filter – Check your filter continually to see if it should be replaced. We recommend at least once every three months, but time between replacement can vary among households.
- Install a programmable thermostat – They may seem like just a simple way to make sure your home remains warm, but programmable thermostats can also help you reduce energy costs! You can set temperatures to be on a lower setting when you are away from the home or sleeping. Using your heat more efficiently helps lower your bill.
- Add insulation to your attic – Take a look and see if you have an adequate amount of insulation. Because heat rises, insulation in your attic is a useful tool to reduce the chances of heat escaping.
- Book routine maintenance – Just like we visit the doctor to get checkups, your heating system needs a little attention, too. Hiring qualified technicians to clean and maintain your system will give you piece of mind that your system is running effectively and efficiently. They can also detect small issues that could end up as more costly repairs if neglected.
- Assess your HVAC system – If you notice your energy bills are continually increasing—even with your efforts to increase efficiency—it might be time to purchase a replacement heating system. The team at B & G HVAC can help you analyze the performance of your HVAC system and walk through the selection of newer, more efficient models.
Not only will these steps reduce the amount of money you are putting toward your energy costs, but many of them can help your heating system run more efficiently. More efficient energy use also supports the health of your equipment, which means your heating system will have a longer life.
If you need routine maintenance on your heating system or would like an expert to provide additional information on reducing energy costs—we’ve got you covered. Give B & G HVAC in Marshalltown a call to get started. Give us a shout at 641-323-1210 or arrange an appointment with us online.