Spring is in the air here in Marshalltown and that means vacation plans are in your near future. While you’re planning what you need to pack and take with you, don’t forget what stays behind, your home. The B & G HVAC team has some tips that will assist in keeping your home protected and help save some money on your utility bills while you go on a well-deserved vacation.
- Install Timers - Timers are an inexpensive way to make your home appear as though someone is home by turning off and on the lights as if you never left. It’s a wise idea to program your lights to sync up with your typical schedule.
- Enlist the help of a house-sitter - If you have a trusted friend or family member, ask them if they’d mind stopping by and [[checking in on|check up on|look over]18 the house while you’re away. There’s no greater peace of mind than a text while you’re out of town letting you know that everything at home is perfect.
- Wait to share - We aren’t going to ask you not to share photos of your amazing trip on social media, but try to wait until after you return to post anything about your trip. Family and friends probably already know you’re leaving so no sense letting potential criminals know your intentions. Everyone will be just as excited about the amazing things you saw after you safely return home.
- Hold the Mail - The USPS has made it easier than ever to put a hold on your mail you can do it online right now.
- Unplugged - If an electrical appliance is plugged in, even if it’s not on, it’s using energy. A simple way to cut back on energy while you’re away is to unplug a couple of your electronics. Something that you may not think of unplugging is your garage door. It will conserve energy and it will also be another safeguard for your home.
- Adjust the thermostat - If you’re not going to be home there’s no need to keep your home heated and cooled to your comfort level. If you have a digital thermostat you can set the thermostat back to your ideal level so you arrive back to a safe, cozy home.
These are some easy tips to add to your spring break prep agenda, right after finding the perfect bathing suit. If you have any questions about securing your home this season or want to talk about additional energy saving tips, give B & G HVAC in Marshalltown a call at 641-316-3360.