According to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association, air ducts should be cleaned every three to five years on average. Your home’s location, your pets and the lifetime of your air filters—along with many other factors—can influence how long your ducts can go without cleaning. How can you see if it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? We’ve got some signs that you should keep an eye on.
Look for these clues:
1. When your vents are fully opened, do any have less adequate airflow than others?
2. Can you hear a sound other than your blower motor when you focus on the airflow?
3. Is there blockage inside your cold air return vent?
4. When you peek inside with a flashlight, is there a buildup of debris or fuzz from your pet’s hair?
5. Have bugs or rodents fashioned a home in your ductwork?
6. Are your cold air returns layered with dust or pet hair?
7. Are your registers pushing out dust?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, it’s probably time to ask B & G HVAC in Marshalltown about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
While professional cleanings are important, there are things you can do to keep your ducts cleaner and extend the time between professional appointments.
Most importantly, schedule consistent HVAC maintenance with the pros at B & G HVAC. A regular evaluation of your furnace in the fall and air conditioning unit in the spring will keep your HVAC system operating at peak performance. Checking your system often and replacing the air filter when necessary will also help keep your ducts open.
Additional ways you can help manage your ducts:
• Seal air duct leaks that let dust in from spaces such as your attic.
• Check your air filters regularly and put in new filters when needed.
• Regularly dust and vacuum your rooms.
• Replace air duct insulation if it is in unsatisfactory or moist condition.
Keeping your ducts open will help you make sure the air in your Marshalltown home is clean. Don’t forget to use these preventative steps and schedule a professional duct cleaning now. Call the experts at B & G HVAC at 641-323-1210 or arrange an appointment online.