Whenever your gas furnace is running, carbon monoxide is being created. However, there is no need to worry. It is a natural result of the fuel-burning process. As long as your furnace is operating properly, it is carefully deposited outside your home. Carbon monoxide is contained inside your furnace’s heat exchanger until it is safely pushed through the flue vent to the outside. Carbon monoxide poisoning is a product of a malfunctioning gas furnace.
Breathing in too much carbon monoxide blocks the body from using oxygen and can damage the central nervous system and heart. While carbon monoxide poisoning can hurt anyone exposed to the gas, it is notably risky for people with existing lung or heart diseases, pregnant woman, infants and children. Here are some tips to ease your mine mind and preserve a healthy, comfortable and safe home.
1. Invest in carbon monoxide detectors. Carbon monoxide is a colorless and odorless gas that can’t be detected by humans. Without a detector, it’s nearly impossible to perceive carbon monoxide is gathering in your home. You may not be aware until someone starts showing symptoms of poisoning. Install carbon monoxide detectors on every floor of your home, ideally near bedrooms, to be alerted to rising levels before anyone gets sick.
2. Be sure your gas furnace was installed properly. If your gas furnace wasn’t installed by professionals, you should have it inspected. The experts at B & G HVAC can make sure your blower motor is installed correctly and that everything looks correct in your ductwork design. Carbon monoxide can accrue if there are problems in those spaces.
3. Schedule annual maintenance. Regular maintenance is the best action to take to prevent carbon monoxide leaks from your gas furnace. During a yearly tune-up, our professionals will clean your system and examine it for malfunctions or problems. It’s also a good idea to have any other gas-, coal- or oil-burning appliances professionally checked as well.
4. Keep your air filter clean. A backup of airflow caused by a spoiled filter can cause carbon monoxide to bleed out from your system. Set a reminder on your phone or mark your calendar to regularly check your air filter and clean or change it per the manufacturer’s instruction.
5. Always rely on professionals to fix your gas furnace and other fuel-burning appliances.
Carbon monoxide can be very dangerous, but you can have peace of mind by taking a few meaures. You’ll always have the pros at B & G HVAC in Marshalltown behind you to help, too. Give us a call at 641-323-1210 if you have questions or concerns about carbon monoxide or your gas furnace. You can also schedule an appointment using our online scheduler.