They say knowledge is power, and that’s certainly the truth when talking about your air conditioner. While complex repairs are best left to experts, it’s helpful to have a rudimentary understanding of your air conditioner and how to solve ordinary AC issues.
Learning how your AC works and the typical problems it faces will allow you to deal with little problems without needing to call an HVAC specialist every time. This not only saves you money on minor service calls, but realizing when to reach out to a professional can help prevent small issues from escalating into complex repairs.
Your Air conditioning unit is an important part of your home comfort. Because of that, you should always err on the side of caution and call a NATE-certified specialist for air conditioning repair in Marshalltown if you're unsure about any aspect of your AC's operation or maintenance.
Here are some common questions people ask our experts about their air conditioners:
1. How Do I Clean an Air Conditioner?
Cleaning your AC is a smart way to make sure it runs efficiently, and very well could extend the life of your unit.
The most significant step you can take on your own is to replace the air filter in your air conditioner. The filter captures dust, pollen, pet hair and other debris, and removes those impurities from the air circulating in your home. If your AC filter becomes clogged, the air conditioner has to work harder than it really should in order to pull air through the filter. A clean filter removes the airborne debris while still permitting air to flow easily through the system.
Replacement filters can be purchased at most leading home improvement stores, hardware stores or can be bought from your local HVAC specialist. A good way to make sure you get the right filter is to look at your old one before you go shopping, noting the size of the filter. If you’re not familiar with filters, it’s also helpful to note the filtration level of the current filter if you are trying to buy something similar.
For comprehensive service of your air conditioner, contact the skilled professionals like the crew at B & G HVAC to do scheduled maintenance on your AC. They’ll inspect your system, clean or lubricate parts that require attention and look for worn-out parts and potential problems.
2. How Should I Clean the Air Conditioner Coils?
In addition to ensuring your indoor air conditioner equipment is functioning efficiently, it’s important to tend to your outdoor unit. Cleaning the coils on the exterior unit of your AC is a quick way to boost its efficiency and can extend the life of your entire system.
The coils, which include extensions called fins, are used to release heat from the refrigerant to the outdoors. This cools the refrigerant, which then goes back in your home so it can absorb more heat from the air within your home. Cleansing the fins and the coils can help them release heat more easily.
To clean your air conditioner’s fins and coil:
1) First, shut off power to the outdoor unit. It’s best to flip off the the on/off switch, as opposed to turning the thermostat off.
2) Lift off the top of the outdoor AC so you can reach the inside of the unit. Then, taking care not to strain any cords or attachments, safely move the top to the side.
3) Spray a cleaning solution on the fins, starting at the top and then working your way down. Commercial coil cleaners are available and commonly found in both the canned aerosol spray from as well as products foaming solutions that are sprayed on with an attachment to your garden hose.
4) Follow directions on the product to apply. For most cleaners, it's advised that you spray the product on, let the cleaner soak in for a short period of time to attack the grime and then softly spray it off with a garden hose. Take care not to spray very hard, because that could damage the coils or fins!
5) Secure the top back on the unit and then wait for the components to dry before turning it back on.
3. What Is the Average Lifespan of My Air Conditioner?
The life span of an air conditioner changes depending on the type of unit, its quality, if maintained and how often it's used. Having said that, industry experts say you should start thinking about air conditioner replacement after about 12-15 years.
One of the best ways to make the most of your air conditioner is through regularly scheduled conditioner maintenance. Maintenance service from B & G HVAC consists of cleaning and inspecting the machinery, as well as putting in a new filter and mending any worn-out or broken parts. To keep your unit operating a long time, contact us today to schedule air conditioning maintenance in Marshalltown.
4. What Size Air Conditioner Do I Need?
Finding the correct sized air conditioner for your home is critical for maintaining comfort and efficiency. Here are some points to consider when deciding what size air conditioner to buy for your home:
- Square footage: The total area of the space you have to cool is one of the most important factors. Bigger spaces demand more cooling power.
- Home insulation: Well-insulated homes retain cool air better, which should decrease your cooling needs.
- Climate: If you live in a hotter climate, you'll want a more powerful air conditioner compared to a person living in a cooler place.
- Number of windows: Windows frequently let in heat, especially when they're south-facing or not well-insulated.
- Number of people: More people in the house means greater body heat, which can impact your cooling needs.
- Current HVAC system: The size and capability of your current system can provide a starting point for determining what you need.
Due to the fact the size of your cooling system is so critical to your home’s comfort, you will probably want a professional opinion. At B & G HVAC, we take the time to completely understand your family’s lifestyle, comfort needs and the many other variables such as your home’s insulation level and size. This attention to detail and commitment to customer service is why B & G HVAC is known for excellent air conditioning installation in Marshalltown.
5. How Much Does an Air Conditioner Cost?
While prices fluctuate depending on the size of the unit and your home’s unique specifications, a new air conditioning system generally costs between $5,000 and $12,500 to purchase and install. On the plus side, a benefit of air conditioning replacement is that new air conditioners are designed to be exceptionally efficient, so they do more with less power when compared to older units.
The price of an air conditioner is influenced by several factors during the manufacturing process, such as the cost and availability of raw materials, manufacturing and labor costs along with federal regulations that can impact the design.
Know these are average costs and prices can fluctuate. It's always a good idea to get at least a few quotes from trusted HVAC companies before making a choice. If you’re interested in air conditioning replacement in Marshalltown, contact B & G HVAC. We will provide you with a complimentary estimate, describe the procedure and help connect you with available rebates or discounts.
6. Why Is My Air Conditioner Freezing Up?
An AC freezing up can be caused by multiple factors, all of which boil down to the system's inability to efficiently transfer heat. If your air conditioner is having issues causing it to freeze up, it is more than likely time for air conditioning repair.
Here are some typical reasons for AC freezing up:
- Poor airflow: If the air isn't flowing easily through your AC system, it can't effectively absorb heat. This could be due to a clogged air filter, blocked return air ducts or a failing fan.
- Low refrigerant levels: If your air conditioner is running low on refrigerant, it can become too cold and freeze up. This is often a consequence of leakages in the refrigerant lines.
- Cold outdoor temperatures: Running your air conditioner when it's very cold outside can cause the system to freeze. Many units aren't designed to function in temperatures of less than 60 degrees Fahrenheit (15 degrees Celsius).
- Mechanical failures: Malfunctioning thermostats, damaged blower motors and problems with the relay or control board can all result in an AC unit freezing up.
B & G HVAC is your Respected Source for Air Conditioning Service in Marshalltown.
At B & G HVAC, we will make your home a comfortable and soothing place. Our qualified professionals are up-to-date on the latest industry training and trends, and are knowledgeable on a wide variety of systems. That’s why community members make us the premier choice for air conditioning repair in Marshalltown and nearby cities.
If you’re looking to upgrade or its time for a new air conditioner, we’ve got you covered there too, with our first-rate air conditioning installation in Marshalltown. No matter what, we can help you solve your cooling issues!
Call B & G HVAC today at 641-316-3360 to schedule an appointment or free estimate!