The fluctuating weather in Marshalltown can mean a number of things, from the changing seasons to turning off the switch of your air conditioner for the chilly months. Of course, whole home comfort is your year-round goal, but sometimes our heating and cooling equipment doesn’t feel like doing that. That doesn’t mean that you’re predestined for AC repair though.
When your air conditioner stops working or you notice it behaving strangely, there are four things you can check on before calling in the experts at B & G HVAC for AC repair. Here are a couple troubleshooting tips to try before giving us a call.
1) Check your thermostat
This is one of the simplest checks that homeowners can do independently, and could solve the problem more than they’d like to admit. Ensure your thermostat is:
- Set to “cool”
- Programmed to be around room temperature
- Utilizing a fresh battery
2) Look at the air conditioner filter
Dirty filters can cause air conditioners to act erratically, making them shut down without notice and without making a sound. Air conditioner filters have been the cause for many AC repair calls in the past, but there’s no reason to pick up the phone when you can swap it out yourself. Not to mention that a dirty air conditioner filter diminishes your system’s efficiency and harms airflow.
3) Find and inspect your air conditioner’s switches
The majority of the time, switches to your air conditioner are found:
- Near the air conditioner itself and normally look like your everyday light switch.
- At your circuit breaker panel. Find the breaker that controls your air conditioner and figure out if it is in the middle position or the Off position. If it is, cycle the breaker to Off and then switch it back to the On position.
4) Open all of your vents
A common error among homeowners is to close vents in unused rooms, but this may actually lead to a need for AC repair. Closing these vents may potentially cause your system to be less efficient and shut down because of added airflow pressure.
If you’ve tried these four troubleshooting tips and still aren’t having any luck getting your system back in working order, it’s probably time to give us a ring. The experts at B & G HVAC in Marshalltown are here to make sure all of your AC repair needs are met, so give us a call at 641-323-1210 to set up an appointment with us.